Dinner tonight was last night’s leftovers. Since I knew it’d be a repeat, I saved this recipe for tonight’s post. I started making this salad when I lived in Boston with my friends. It was inspired by a local restaurant, The Sunset Grille, in Allston. There it’s called the Pesto Pasta Tuscan Salad. I mix it up every time I make it, as it is a meal that is easy to cater to different tastes.
Neither Lloyd nor I are big pasta fans, but tortellini and ravioli are the occasional exception. And if it’s home-cooked, it’s gotta be Buitoni!
I refer to this dish simply as The Sunset Salad!
- Buitoni three cheese tortellini (I use one cup per person, but it depends on your preference)
- Newman’s Own Light Sun Dried Tomato Dressing
- Sun dried tomatoes
- 1 can quartered artichokes
- Fresh mozzarella
1. Boil tortellini.
2. Meanwhile, get to work making your salad with toppings of choice.
3. When tortellini is ready, drain and toss with dressing. Let cool.
4. Add tortellini to salad and dive in.
Aren’t my directions super-detailed?!
Love this dressing, for this salad or any other.
I love salads that “pop” with color.
Crisp red onion, ripe red ‘matoes, crunchy carrots, and creamy mozzarella…
The good stuff goes in!
Mix ‘er up! (Notice I refer to all my food as female?!)
The chewy pasta adds “oomph” to the overall meal.
My plate, with lotsa onions and peps…
Lloyd’s plate sans onions and peps… carefully removed by moi!
I tried to keep this meal on the healthier side. Some variations I’ve tried and suggest:
- Toss the tortellini with pesto, or sundried tomato pesto
- Add some croutons, or serve with breadsticks
- Add some chickpeas, roasted red peppers, or grilled eggplant
- Serve with a balsamic dressing or a vinaigrette
This is an easy, refreshing summer meal! I always look forward to the leftovers. They were delicious tonight, having soaked up more of the flavor. I also prefer the tortellini to be cold, but that’s just my preference.