Healthy General Tso’s Chicken
Based on (Almost) General Tso’s Chicken from Now Eat This! by Rocco DiSpirito
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- liquid egg whites
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in 1″ cubes
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup Low Sugar Asian Stir-Fry Sauce **The book has a recipe for this sauce, which I used and LOVED!)**
- 3 packets Truvia
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Set out a bowl for flour, eggs, and panko.
- Place foil over a large baking sheet. Place a wire rack on top.
- Dredge chicken in flour, dip in eggs, and then panko.
- When all the chicken is coated and on the rack (the sheet pan), place it in the oven and bake until cooked through and browned all over.
- Place broccoli in a microwave-able container and cover with paper towels. Cook for 4 minutes on HIGH. Remove from microwave and let cool.
- Mix together the stir-fry sauce, Truvia, rice vinegar and chili sauce.
- Coat chicken with sauce.
- Serve with broccoli, and top with sesame seeds.
Making the Stir Fry Sauce…
I happened to have this in my fridge from another recipe- you can find it in the “ethnic” aisle of the grocery store.
Using a rack to cook the chicken was an awesome idea- it quickly browned both sides.
Dunked in the sauce, served over broccoli, and sprinkled with sesame seeds!
Better than take-out…
Seriously, this was crazy good and it certainly didn’t taste healthy!
Loaded with flavor, but low in sodium, sugar, and fat! Seriously?
Slightly sweet, just a little spicy, and 100% delicious.
Dinner was a success! This dish was time-consuming, but the end result was so worth it! The portion size is fairly small (it serves,four) so I doubled Lloyd’s plate, although I was stuffed from just one serving.
To boot, this all clocked in under 350 calories. Score!
If you enjoy Chinese take-out (and who doesn’t?!) RUN to your kitchen and make this!